Highest Pubs in the UK
This list came about after having dinner with friends one Saturday night in the Kirkstone Pass Inn, which proudly claims to be "the 3rd highest in Britain at 1,480 ft". Naturally, we got to wondering where might be the top ten highest pubs. So, with a bit of help from my OS map collection, Google, Multimap and the good people on the uk.rec.walking newsgroup here's what I've come up with.
This list is detailed and authoratative in the same way the infamous WMD dossier was - i.e. largely cobbled together from the internet - so if you know better, please let me know.
Scotland's high five:
- 1,440 ft, Wanlockhead Inn, Wanlockhead, B797 Dumfries & Galloway.
(Was closed for a while, I believe, but now open again?)
- 1,340 ft, ????, Cock Bridge, Highlands.
- 1,310 ft, Lead Hills Pub, Leadhills, B797 Dumfries & Galloway.
- 1,110 ft, Richmond Arms Hotel (assuming it has public bar), Tomintoul, Highlands.
The ones in Wales:
- 1,430 ft, Sportsman's Arms, A543 between Denbigh and Pentrefoleas.
- 1,370 ft, Lamb & Fox ???, just North of Blaenavon.
- 1,310 ft, Tafarn Ty Uchaf ???, Trefil, of the A465 North of Tredegar
- 1,110 ft, on B4246 between Blaenavon and Govilon.
- 900 ft, Pen-y-Gwyrd Hotel, A4086 at the turn off for the Llanberis Pass, Snowdonia.
England's Inns with altitude:
- 1,730 ft, Tan Hill Inn, North Yorkshire.
- 1,690 ft, The Cat & Fiddle Inn, A537 between Buxton and Macclesfield.
- 1,500 ft, Traveller's Rest, nr Flash on A53 between Buxton and Leek.
- 1,480 ft, Kirkstone Pass Inn, between Windermere and Patterale, Cumbria.
(Given its location this one certainly feels the highest)
- 1,470 ft, The New Inn, Flash, Staffordshire.
- 1,470 ft, Royal Cottage, on the A53 halfway between Leek and Buxton.
- 1,440 ft, The Mermaid, on the A53 near Leek, Staffordshire.
- 1,440 ft, Winking Man, on the A53 halfway between Leek and Buxton (close to Royal Cottage).
- 1,410 ft, Miners Arms, Nenthead, Cumbria.
- 1,350 ft, Warren House Inn, Postbridge, Dartmoor.
and a few more
- 1,320 ft, The Lion Inn, High Blakey, North Yorkshire.
- 1,310 ft, Deerplay Inn, on the A671 between Bacup and Burnley.
- 1,310 ft, Sportsman's Arms, Bride Stones Moor, NW of Todmorden.
- 1,310 ft, Allenheads Inn, Northumberland.
- 650 ft, The Old Inn, St Breward - highest in Cornwall.
- Sea level, The Old Forge, Knoydart - not high up at all, just very remote.
I've rounded heights down to the nearest 10 ft as I'm not interested in quibbling over a few feet.